F. G. R. Roth (American 1872 – 1944)
Gen. George Washington at Valley Forge, 1928
Bronze, dark brown patina
24 1/4 H. x 24 W. x 9 D. inches
signed on base: F.G.R. Roth
Inscribed on base: Fond. G. Vignali e C. Firenze
Made in Italy
General George Washington Encamped in Morristown, New Jersey, is a reduction of the monumental equestrian bronze in the center of Morristown. It sits on the triangle at the junction of Morris Street and Washington Avenue facing Washington’s headquarters. During two critical winters of the Revolutionary War, 1777 and again in 1779–80, the American Continental Army encamped in Morristown. Also there the Ford Mansion served as the headquarters to its commander-in-chief, General George Washington. Washington sits upon his horse wearing a winter uniform, a replica of the attire he would have worn during this cold New England winter. The conditions were grim, and Washington was said to have kept a lonesome vigil on his horse. During this time, the end result of the Revolution was in question, supplies were low for his soldiers, and the number in the army dwindled. His concern for the privation of his soldiers, lead him to pledge his own funds to pay them, an exampled followed by some of his officers. He attempted to grow and improve his army while in Morristown, and the loyalty of the soldiers never waned.
The front of the large statue simply reads, “Washington” and on the back the following words are carved:
“Headquarters at Morristown
January – May 1777
December 1779 – June 1780”
The statue was unveiled and dedicated by the lifting of two flags on October 19, 1928. This date is significant because on October 19, 1781 British General Cornwallis surrendered to Washington at Yorktown.