James Lippitt Clark (American 1883 – 1969)
29 1/8 H. x 13 ¼ W. x 6 ¼ D. inches
Light brown patina
Signed on base: J L Clark / © 1927
Inscribed on base: Roman Bronze Works Inc.
Cast during the artists lifetime.
First cast executed for the exhibition: Sculpture by Dr. James L. Clark and Sally Clark, October 15th – 31st, 1968, at the Abercrombie & Fitch Art Gallery, Madison Avenue at 45thStreet, New York.
Clark was the pupil of the Rhode Island School of Design. While working as a designer for Gorham, he was asked to mount specimens in the American Museum of Natural History. He became director of preparation and installation there until his retirement in 1949. He was a taxidermist, big game hunter, and creator of habitat groups for the museum, maintaining his office at the museum and at his own Industrial Exhibits company.
He visited the West in 1906, Europe and Africa in 1908. He was the co-leader of the McDonnell-Clark Wyoming expedition in 1937 in addition to Asiatic and African expeditions from 1926 to 1948. Clark was an author and lecturer on animals including “Exploring and Studying Wild Game in America.”
Resource: SAMUELS’ Encyclopedia of ARTISTS of THE AMERICAN WEST,